Commercial Manager - Rail/Civils - London
A leading contractor
Our client is a leading civil engineering and infrastructure services contractor in the UK, with an annual turnover in the region of £120M. The company provides a broad range of quality services including construction and refurbishment of client owned assets with a significant input into feasibility and design to facilitate value engineered solutions for below ground infrastructure such as pipelines and cables and above ground structures including water and wastewater treatment, bridges and rail construction work. The core business units are supported by specialist Plant, Tunnelling, Fabrication and Process divisions providing a single source of supply.
A large percentage of the company’s workload is delivered through long term partnering frameworks utilising it’s directly employed workforce of 1200 staff and operatives. During 2004 the company bid for and retained contracts for up to ten years with existing clients including Anglian Water, Severn Trent Water, Thames Water and Marconi whilst it continued to diversify into new market sectors including industry and rail
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
· Responsible for all commercial and financial management activities undertaken by the company
· Ensure that they uphold the company values and promote the company as an all-round company.
· Ensure that the company is a cost viable operation, which produces at profitable return with the least amount of risk to the parent company.
· To perform the role of one of the company representatives.
· To work with the other board members to ensure that the company objectives and obligations are met.
· To manage all commercial aspects of the the company Projects.
· Provide Senior Management and the Operations Team with commercial advice and reports
· Ensure systems are in place to adequately monitor, review and control costs, risks and commercial process.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE:
· To ensure that all staff are made aware of the obligations of the Contractor and Employer under the contract.
· To advise staff on all commercial and legal matters within the company
· To ensure that the commercial function carries out its work in a professional and open manner and in compliance with the company procedures.
· To lead the commercial team to ensure that good relationships and working practices are established and maintained with the client and the supply chain.
· Liase with the QS / Estimator's to oversee management of forecasting, budgeting and cost reporting functions.
· Lead the QS / Estimators to identify problems or matters requiring resolution in order to establish common Commercial Department policy and procedures.
· Oversee the sub-contract procurement programme to ensure that sub-contractors are procured in accordance with procedures and on the best commercial terms where appropriate.
· Oversee the change control and variation process procedures to ensure they are adhered to.
· Oversee the risk management function to ensure compliance with policy and procedures.
· Oversee the Procurement function to ensure that goods and services are obtained in accordance with the contract requirements on the best commercial terms.
· Ensure that the insurance claims are managed and the claims process is adhered to.
· Liase with and co-ordinate legal, tax, insurance and commercial inputs to the company.
· Ensure suitable and compatible management systems within the group companies.
· Responsible for ensuring that monthly invoicing is done on time to create a neutral cash flow
· Champion a commercial outlook in a construction/transport infrastructure environment.
· Manage contract audits twice yearly.
· Facilitate an Alliance partnering culture.
· Carry out regular reviews of the commercial function to ensure "best practice" is maintained.
· Assurance that the correct financial recovery is achieved
· Supervise management of forecasting, budgeting and cost reporting in liaison with the finance department such that audit records are established and applications for payment submitted by the required period end dates.
· Liaise with the company Commercial Managers to identify problems of matters requiring resolution in order to establish common Commercial policy
· Manage Implementation and review sub-contract procurement programme to ensure sub-contractors are procured as required.
· Maintain overview of sub contract accounts to ensure they are being progressed to a satisfactory conclusion. In the event that any disputes arise provide advices to commercial staff and where required become actively involved in the resolution of the dispute to ensure its rapid and efficient conclusion.