This job is no longer available
Job Title: Capital Delivery Manager
Responsible to: Director of Water Services
Guernsey Water is responsible for the provision of water services to its 60,000 customers throughout the Island. It is a wholly owned States of Guernsey trading entity that is part of the Public Services Department. Guernsey Water is committed to delivering to its customers excellent customer service.
Job Summary/Main Purpose
Guernsey Water is seeking to appoint a Capital Delivery Manager to manage the construction of several multi-million pound water and wastewater civil engineering capital schemes over the next 3 to 5 years.
The post holder will be someone who can demonstrate a proven excellent track record in delivering capital projects of over £10 million with a sound understanding of the NEC3 conditions of contract. They will be expected to hold a qualification in project management and be fully conversant with the appropriate tools and techniques.
The projects are associated with Guernsey Water’s business and experience of the Water Industry would be beneficial.
The Capital Delivery Manager will be the designated Project Manager on all major capital projects and report directly to the Director of Water Services, they will take the lead in guiding the Project Boards throughout the construction and commissioning phases of these projects. The Project Manager will prepare and deliver regular reports to the Project Boards where appropriate.
The Capital Delivery Manager will be assisted by the project design team of engineers and a separate quantity surveyor, for each of the major projects as appropriate.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• The Capital Delivery Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure that projects are delivered on time and in accordance with agreed budgetary provisions. (budgeted at more than £75m over the next 5 years)
As well as having responsibility for the project management of individual projects the post holder will be responsible for the project co-ordination of all Guernsey Water’s capital projects, from inception to commissioning. (Aggregate spending currently of £8 million to £10 million pounds pa).
Project proposers, design engineers and project managers will liaise with the Capital Delivery Manager to ensure that the whole programme of works is delivered in a manner consistent with the approved Business Plan.
Other important elements of the job include:-
• Develop projects from basic solutions, through detailed appraisal to design.
• Provide challenge as appropriate to ensure the delivery of effective and least whole life cost solutions.
• Ensure projects deliver against defined Business Need.
• Develop and implement a capital delivery process for smaller projects which mirrors that of the Major Capital delivery process.
• Develop long term contracts with service providers to ensure effective and efficient delivery of our capital programme.
This is a senior officer post and as such the post holder will form part of the Guernsey Water senior management team.
• Educated to degree level and have achieved Chartered status and have at least 5 years experience in the water industry.
• Good people management skills with experience of leading and motivating a team.
• Experience of team working in a senior management role at a strategic level.
• Good interpersonal skills with experience of dealing with situations with tact and diplomacy.
• Proven experience of making considered judgements and decisions at a senior level.
• Ability to demonstrate a strong commercial awareness.
• Good communication skills both written (including report writing) and verbal.
• Good IT skills and experience of IT development.
The Capital Delivery Manager will report to the Director of Water Services and will be responsible for a team of approximately 4-6 engineers and technicians.
He/she will be required to work with staff at all levels throughout Guernsey Water, staff from within the Public Services Department and other States Departments and consultants.
The post comes with a 5 year essential Housing Licence.
This job description gives an outline of the duties which the post holder will be expected to undertake but is not intended to be limiting as other duties may arise from time to time. It will be subject to review to ensure that it reflects the current duties and responsibilities of the post holder.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a basic police clearance certificate. All disclosures are received in the strictest confidence and checks are only made in connection with your application and for no other purpose.
The possession of a criminal record will not necessarily debar you from employment – the nature and relevance of the convictions will be taken into account.
Relevant convictions may include: -
Offences related to national security
Serious public order or anti social offences