This job is no longer available
Digital Drawing & Design Office
The purpose of the Digital Drawing and Design Office is to harness computer aided design technology to serve the needs of the National Theatre. It is responsible for the creation of artistically accurate and technically detailed drawings, 3D models and artwork that fully capture the design concept and intent of the creative team, the conversion of that information into construction drawings, visualisations and reference material and the distribution of design information to all relevant departments of the building, creative teams and contractors. In addition to production work its resources are available to support the extended work of all departments of the National Theatre through creation, collaboration and consultation. This newly formed department has evolved from the increasing demands for computer aided design for theatre and is an opportunity to be at the forefront of this rapidly developing field.
Purpose of Job
To be responsible for the management and creation of agreed digital drawings for allocated projects during the budgeting, drafting, construction and installation phases. To act as a point of contact for the project manager, creative team and technical department colleagues in respect to all services provided by the Digital Drawing and Design Office on a given project.
Projects will range from new productions (often in rep) on the three stages at the National Theatre, productions on tour in venues throughout the world, transfers to West End and Broadway theatres and other found spaces, events and productions as part of the Discover, Watch this Space, Functions and Development programmes as well as supporting the Production, Technical and Construction Departments activities related to rehearsals, filming, broadcasts, exhibitions and NT Masterplan.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To ensure excellence in drafting standards and methods of construction so that the design concept can be accurately converted from designed model to final built set.
2. Supervise the drawing process to ensure the provision of appropriate drawings, reference and other necessary materials for the planned programme of work.
3. To create and maintain the Master Composite Plan so that we maintain the essence of the Designer’s concepts within the practical constraints imposed by the venue and repertory.
4. To create detailed CAD drawings of individual scenic components so that the design intention of the creative team can be captured in a digital record suitable for distribution to a wider group.
5. Create Construction and other working drawings so that the departments of the NT can recreate the design concepts of the creative team.
6. Maintain effective personal communication within and outside the department.
7. Support the drawing needs of the rest of the National Theatre.
8. Ensure all project requirements are compliant and carried out in keeping with NT policies and procedures for security, H&S and good house keeping.
9. Monitor the work of freelancers and digital artists to ensure that all work is carried out to the correct standards and meets the creative requirements of the creative team.
10. Carry out other project work in relation to the department as necessary, following discussion and agreement with the Head of Digital Drawing and Design.
11. Undertake professional development and work-related training as deemed necessary by your manager.
12. Comply with the National’s Equal Opportunities and Health & Safety policies at all times.
The following skills are essential:
1. Significant experience and detailed understanding of theatre design and production processes gained in a repertory theatre environment.
2. Ability to confidently interact and effectively engage with the artistic concept of complex three dimensional designs such as those involved in the production of ‘Warhorse’
3. Expert AutoCAD skills and competence with NT CAD standards and drawing processes.
4. Extensive experience in AutoCAD software with the ability to lead, supervise and instruct others.
5. Proficiency and workshop floor experience in scenic construction with extensive knowledge of the practical skills related to scenic construction.
6. A comprehensive knowledge of scenic construction materials and their application.
7. Practical experience of working as part of a production team to realise a design through all stages of the production process including the concept, rehearsal and technical phases.
8. The ability to source information and keep updated with new technologies.
9. A demonstrable awareness of other crafts and skills and activities within the performance/project environment.
10. Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to delegate authority appropriately.
11. Proactive and flexible approach to work, with excellent communication and influencing skills.
12. Ability to consistently produce high quality work in a fast paced pressured environment.
13. A sympathetic approach to creative concepts and an ability to realise them in practical terms.
14. An understanding of Health & Safety issues and COSHH applied in theatre.
15. Excellent IT skills, including MS Excel & Word with an ability to quickly learn and master new software.
The following skills are desirable:
1. Extensive experience of AutoCAD 3D, Vectorworks, and 3DS Max software.
2. Working knowledge of 3 Axis CNC, Alphacam CAD/CAM.
3. Theatre Design or related qualification at Degree level or equivalent experience.
4. Experience of Construction drafting in response to budgetary imperatives.
5. Good understanding of mechanics and engineering principles in relation to common theatrical structures.
6. Experience in other 3D design software such as Sketchup, Inventor and Revit.
7. Competency with Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator.
8. AutoLisp programming skills.
9. Project management experience.