This job is no longer available
Location ------- London, City
Type of Project ---------- Construction of 2 new offices and retail areas to shell and core Cat A, Option Cat B
1 office NIA 158,545 sq ft
Retail NIA 24,966 sq ft
2nd office NIA 191,180 sq ft
Retail 22,476 sq ft
To manage the external envelope design process on a project, from enquiry through to placing orders, and thereafter the management of all design related project issues until project completion. Delivering design management to an agreed programme working with the budget and/or cost plan and working closely with the internal finishes Design Manager
Past History and Characteristics required
Experience on large commercial Design and Build projects preferable, recognised technical qualification at HND/HNC level.
§ A fundamental requirement is that he /she has a proven track record with other contractors, design practices or cladding suppliers or can demonstrate a solid understanding of the requirements of the design management processes.
§ A fundamental requirement is that he /she has the ability to show strong leadership qualities and work with the Skanska construction project team and professional practices.
§ Manage the liaison via the design team for Building Control, Fire Brigade, Section 20 approval at design stage
§ Manage design process in accordance with Skanska Design Guidelines
§ Ensure Co-ordinated drawings have appropriate support bracket details, and checks and approvals obtained structurally.
§ Has excellent technical background in his / her discipline and understands the interface with structural, architectural packages, and services
§ Is able to demonstrate knowledge on sustainability issues and be able to incorporate these into a design when required.
§ Be competent on the requirements of BREEAM and Part L. is able to review, comment and manage BREEAM and Part L issues as part of tender or construction processes.
§ A person who is commercially and contractually astute would understands ‘design to cost’ as a basic fundamental of the job. Contributes to the monthly Risk Schedule Reports.
§ Is a good communicator able to drive the design team in order that project deliverables are achieved.
§ Is a good communicator both with the team he / she is working with and with his / her supply chain.
§ Is able to produce, monitor and delivery agreed design deliverables on time and within budget.
§ As a fundamental requirement understand and manage programme deliverable which after design in order that the construction deliverable can be achieved.
§ Is able to review and take the appropriate action to ensure CDM issues are delivered as part of the final construction solution.
§ Is able to make decisions quickly and communicate with the team decisively to ensure design deliverables are met.
§ A fundamental requirement is that he /she has worked on similar projects to which this application refers.
§ Is able to demonstrate forward thinking to prevent issues arising on projects which could affect programme and cost deliverables.
§ Has a good understanding of modern construction techniques.
§ Has an excellent drive to improve construction safety and environmental issues.
§ Is able to coordinate with services installations
Project details to which this application refers.
Installed in all buildings
Normal works associated within all the buildings
Experience in design and build of bespoke cladding systems would be preferred.
Extensive hard and soft landscaping
Inverted roof system with sedium
External roof screens mesh
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
* Support the project Design Management Plan and ensure all members of the design team are aware of their responsibilities
Procurement of the Design Team
* The Design team will be novated T &C s have been agreed.
* Co-ordinate the completion and maintenance of the design management plan and design brief, which includes: Client Requirements, Cost, Programme, Best Practice Design Standards, Contract Agreement
Process and Programme
* Work towards the timelines on the design programme to ensure it is accurately maintained, and report on progress
* Ensure that all responsibilities under CDM regulations are maintained
* Manage the flow of information with the document control department, using BIW
Main Duties & Responsibilities: (cont… )
* Ensure CAD protocol is maintained
* Input to progress monitoring where required
* Ensure the design complies with brief, contract, legislation, planning, building regulations, CDM and technical requirements
* Manage reviewable design date with client
* Ensure contractors proposals are compliant with employers requirements
* Manage the interface between the design team, client, stakeholders, suppliers, project team and the construction team
* Represent the company at meetings, promote the correct company image and ensure staff are aware of their responsibilities in this area
* People Management
* Undertake line management responsibilities
* Review and inspect sub contractors design and production facilities
Health, Safety and Environment
* Promote the site safety culture and carryout site safety inspections when required.
* Be aware of the projects sustainability objectives and work towards ensuring the design is compliant
* Promote IFE and keep informed of policy developments
Risk and Opportunity Management
* Manage the undertaking of Design Risk and Opportunity Assessments
* Ensure compliance with project documentation and company documentation, i.e. IMS, PEP and KPI's
Records and Archives
* Ensure the maintenance of records including as-built drawings, letters, e mails, notices, drawings site records, and computer data. Ensure the maintenance of records for archived materials
Design Team, Trade Contractors, Skanska Project Team Members
Experience of working as a project based design manager
Experienced in the processes of design management
Working for a cladding sub-contractor would be preferable
Educated to a HNC or Degree Level
Likely to hold relevant professional qualification