This job is no longer available
Capita Symonds Planning | Environment | Design provides a comprehensive town planning, transport planning, masterplaning, landscape & urban design, environmental, waste & resource management and sustainability service offering; focused on providing both multi-disciplinary and stand alone high end consulting services to private and public clients (and at the juncture between the public and private) and across all the sectors in which Capita and Capita Symonds operates.
The team provides a front end development planning offer to private sector clients, taking them from site identification, acquisition and promotion through feasibility, design, assessment and planning and then on through detailed design, construction, delivery, maintenance and increasingly facilities management, asset redevelopment and disposal.
In this market our client contacts, our technical specialists, our creative solutions and our delivery track record is key. Future growth in this sector will come as we enhance all of these aspects. The room for growth is identified in increasingly providing our services on a delivery partner basis, in extending our multi-disciplinary offer, further enhancing our offer in certain sectors and through regional and international expansion.
Within the public sector the team leads on policy and research matters (for the likes of CLG, DEFRA, WRAP, Natural England), whilst also working in our own right and collaboratively with Capita Symonds in the delivery of major civil (e.g. transport, energy and utilities) and social (e.g. education, health, justice, defense) infrastructure projects and programmes.
In this market, in the past, we have relied on the complementary and added value nature of our offer to support and enhance Capita Symonds' delivery on major civil infrastructure projects (primarily road and rail projects in the UK). Increasingly however we are leading these teams and/or winning these projects in our own right (particularly in relation to energy and utilities), and no longer confined purely to the UK. Opportunities for growth lie in continuing to piggy-back on Capita Symonds growth in this area, as well as extending our own offer in the planning, assessment, consenting and environmental management of these major infrastructure projects. To date we have been less involved in the delivery of major development programmes for social infrastructure, and this also therefore presents a significant opportunity for growth.
In total the team is approximately 150 staff strong, based in 7 office locations throughout the UK, with over 650 live project commissions at any one time - and an ambitious plan for growth.
We are looking for an experienced Commercial Manager to join our team and provide professional and robust support to the Planning | Environment | Design team in identifying and managing commercial, financial and contractual risk within Capita Symonds (CSL). This role will report directly to the Director of Planning | Environment | Design, and will be primarily based in London but will require travel to other Capita Symonds offices across the UK.
In this varied role you will be required to:-
- Undertake commercial and contractual reviews of all projects.
- Undertake commercial review of key bids and as required formulate commercial bid strategies.
- Advise on the most appropriate form of appointment/contract.
- Undertake preliminary project contract reviews.
- Liaise with our legal team on the negotiatopn and agreement of all project contracts, sub contracts and workshares.
- Support project managers on all commercial and contractual issues.
- Ensure change control processes are implemented on all projects.
- Identify opportunities to maximise contract values and margins.
- Lead on resolving commercial and contractual disputes
- Provide commercial mentoring and advice to the team.
- Implement commercial best practice.
- Ensure consistency of commercial approach and processes across the team.
- Engage in standard project review processes on all projects as necessary and appropriate.
You will be:-
- From a QS / Legal / Project Management background.
- Commercially minded with strong commercial skills and experience.
- Highly literate and numerate with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confident to review the work of others and to successfully assert your point of view.
- Familiar with the development, regeneration and construction sectors.
- Familiar with all standard forms of civil engineering contracts/agreements.
- Able to liaise with clients in a professional manner.
- Able to work under direction but able to use your own initiative when required.
You will have:-
- Advanced MS Excel Skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- A full and valid UK driving license.
To find out more about this exciting opportunity please call Vicky Thorburn in our recruitment team on 0845 607 5185 for a confidential discussion.