This job is no longer available
Our Client is one of the world's leading engineering, project management and consultancy companies and is looking to recruit a Technical Process Safety Engineer.
In general, the Technical Safety discipline is responsible for ensuring that a project wide approach (involving all disciplines) to designing for safety is adopted, and that a structured process is adopted to keep residual risks As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP). Focus is on the control of Major Accident Hazards (MAH) associated with the project.
The Engineer VI - Technical Safety has various Technical Safety duties, either in a leading role (Technical Lead) on a major ("high risk") project, or as Technical Specialist. He/she could also be asked to act as Technical Authority (TA). If required he/she will mentor and provide guidance to more junior staff.
In general Technical Safety duties are associated with the following (where applicable):
* Implementation of Inherently Safer Design practices and adopting a risk-based design
* Participation in design review related workshops, such as HAZID, HAZOP and SIL/LOPA
* Conducting risk-based safety studies and analysis, as part of a Formal Safety Assessment
* Development of philosophies, strategies and plans for loss prevention, covering: shutdown, Hazardous Area Classification, gas and fire detection, fire protection, and escape and evacuation
* Development of specifications and data sheets of safety systems
* Development and maintenance of Hazard / Risk Registers, Performance Standards, and Cases for Safety or Safety Cases
Knowledge & Experience required
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science required, Bachelor's degree in Engineering preferred. Master's degree preferred.
* Typically 20+ years of relevant experience.
* General interest in developments in the field of Technical and Process Safety.
* Detailed knowledge of the application of inherently safer design and risk-based design on projects. Thorough understanding of concepts of process shutdown, fire and gas detection, relief / flare systems, passive / active firewater protection, and emergency response - for most of these systems knowledge can be applied on projects. Understanding of process engineering, including associated drawings and schematics.
* Thorough understanding of applicable legislation (international and local), as well as codes and standards. Hands-on experience to apply good safety engineering practices on projects.
* Advanced computer skills with MS Office programs. Understanding of software tools used for safety engineering, with advanced skills for most software.
* Skills for management of large-sized projects, or engineering discipline skills to act as Technical Expert or Technical Authority (as appropriate).
* Oral and written communication skills with good vocabulary, good grammar and the ability to independently compose any required written communications.
* Ability to prepare accurate, effective, complete and easily understood written communications and reports.
* Ability to work as a leader in a (project) team environment, or act as Technical Specialist and act as mentor.
* Ability to maintain an agreed work schedule.
* Willingness to comply with applicable laws and regulations, the Company's Code of Business Conduct and other Company policies and procedures.