Senior Permanent Way Design Engineer
Why Choose AECOM?
Imagine working for a truly global company whose 45,000 employees share a singular passion: to make the world a better place. We enjoy what we do at AECOM. We bring projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we’re driven by a set of values and a common purpose — to create, enhance and sustain the world’s built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. We’ll provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. Come share your passion with us.
About the Business Line Transportation
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Our Transportation Business Line currently has a vacancy in our Manchester office for a Senior Permanent Way Design Engineer to join our expanding Permanent Way team following several major project wins.
The successful candidate will preferably be a Chartered Engineer with a degree in Civil Engineering (or equivalent) and experience of working on Network Rail’s infrastructure, London Underground and Metro/light rail networks. They will have experience of the management of teams in the development of P Way designs from feasibility right through to detailed design, delivering to quality, time and budget.
The Manchester office has an established track record of successfully delivering major rail projects. Our modern office in Manchester has good transport links and accommodates a multidisciplinary transportation design centre. We are now looking to enhance and grow this team with individuals with a sound technical background and share our enthusiasm and determination to support our expanding workload. The team produces P Way designs from feasibility right through to detailed design, this includes plain line and S&C design, platform extension works, track off and track lowering schemes, structure gauging, clearance analysis and linespeed improvements.
The team is involved in projects in the UK, Europe and the Middle East with a variety of clients. Our services offered to our clients include feasibility studies, scheme designs and detailed designs. Our clients are from the private and public sector and include HS2, Network Rail, London Underground, TfL, Nexus, TfGM, Croydon Tramlink Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international rail infrastructure projects.
A list of projects we are currently working on in the Manchester office are:
- HS2 Line of Route West;
- Network Rail National Gauging Programme
- Network Rail NINIS Framework
- Nexus Plain Line Renewals
- Croydon Tramlink
- LUL Bakerloo & Central Line
Job/ Project Accountabilities
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job/ Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standards
- Proven P Way design experience
- Experience of working as a CRE would be advantageous
- Undertake design work independently and check designs produced by others
- Attendance and contribution at Inter Disciplinary Check Meetings
- Regular liaison with Project Managers and other discipline CRE’s
- Act as a mentor to junior and graduate design team members
- Assess staff requirements at each stage of the project
- Determine the need for and attend project progress meetings.
- Communicate project critical issues in a timely manner to Head of Discipline and clients. • Report writing/ review/ checking and documentation preparation in association with Form A, Form B and AFC deliverables
- Deliver projects within timescale, budget constraints and quality expectations
- Respond to design queries during construction phase and attend site meetings.
- Undertake Health & Safety duties including ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for the project team members and fulfilling all responsibilities for health and safety in design. General Accountabilities Financial Performance
- Prepare fee proposals for senior management approval.
- Work within financial and programme constraints, monitoring expenditure against the project fee.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly project workload and fee forecasts.
- Review internal processes for effectiveness and efficiency and suggest possible areas for improvement where necessary.
- Understand the commonly used forms of Contract and their implications.
- Understand and implement the Company’s Health and Safety policy and procedures and lead by example and ensure project staff are competent in all health & safety matters
- HNC, BSc, BEng or MEng degree in Civil Engineering
- Chartered Engineer status ( preferable ) and member of a professional institution
- Experience of working on a variety of projects as Senior Engineer / CRE on some with experience of dealing directly with clients
- Proven P Way design experience
- Experienced in the use of Bentley Railtrack, MX Rail, ClearRoute & Autocad
- Experience of working on major and minor rail infrastructure projects.
- Experienced in the use of Network Rail, London Underground, Railway Group Standards as well as the relevant British Standards and Eurocodes
- Understanding of Health and Safety including CDM