Graduate Highway Structures Engineer
3 days left
- Job Type
Graduate Structural Engineer job based in Basingstoke in highway structures maintenance and construction team.
Your new company
This client is one of the leading Highway maintenance providers nationally working on number of key upgrade projects across the country, delivering a range of Engineering services. They are a leader in the field and a key provider in the provision of training and support to Engineers throughout the company, offering you fantastic career development opportunity.
Your new role
To support the Structures Team Leaders and Senior Structures Engineers in the project management, safety and technical work with all activities relating to the inspection, study, design, maintenance and construction of highway structures on both the trunk road & LA network as delegated on a task or project basis.
- Planning project or own task work effectively to a given brief and advising on resource needs, ensuring compliance with management systems and processes (e.g. IMS).
- Assist in developing sound & innovative design solutions for checking by Senior Engineers to meet client requirements in the highways structures sector. Encourage innovation and continuous improvement within the overall team.
- Assist with briefing statements to other team members, or support from other groups.
- Assist with regular team meetings (to include sub-consultants) in order to plan the immediate work, co-ordinate disciplines and identify any areas of concern on deliverables.
- Ensure that the requirements of all relevant Authorities and stakeholders are incorporated into designs as appropriate.
- Under supervision prepare tender and contract documentation in accordance with the HA's MCDHW and DMRB, with any departures agreed with the HA TA authority.
- If required carry out bridge inspection or investigation activities to support the wider structures team, and follow suitable H&S practices in this respect.
- Producing technical documents and reports for checking by Team leaders & Senior Engineers that meet specified quality and client objectives.
- Assist with and/or successful Project Management of Structures Portfolio project delivery to Client objectives, to budget and programme on designated tasks/projects.
- Adopt the ethos of a positive partnering relationship with Client, Framework and Term Maintenance Contractors, and assist with its development with other teams or Offices.
- Actively seek mentoring & development to assist in the organic growth and succession management of the structures team, with the target to be a Chartered Professional.
- To assist on the occasional emergency call out or incident to bridges and highway structures, including out of normal hours, if required.
- Understand the principles of the CDM Regulations for own project tasks, seeking appropriate mentoring & training as appropriate.
- To assist the Structure team in the Area 3 ASC overall Asset Management accreditation to PAS 55.
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
What you'll need to succeed
- Relevant BSc/BEng/MSc in Civil/Structural Engineering, to facilitate working towards IEng & CEng.
- Design and/or contract document preparation experience, would be an advantage.
- Computer literate plus analytical design and CAD experience an advantage.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with clients and stakeholders on technical issues. Experience in the highway structures sectors an advantage.
- Good communication and report writing skills commensurate with key client expectations.
- Working knowledge of H&S procedures including the CDM Regulations for project related work an advantage.
- Valid UK Driving licence is essential.
- Self - Motivated and able to achieve deadlines/targets.
What you'll get in return
An excellent package including competitive Graduate Salary, career development structure and opportunity to progress to Chartered Engineer.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Apply for Graduate Highway Structures Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly