Senior Structural Engineer (Water) - Warrington, UK
We are seeking a Senior Civil-Structural Engineer to develop and provide technological input to structural engineering works as part of CH2M’s Water Business Group. Particular focus will be on containment and flood defence related structures.
This position will involve liaising with regional and global design centres for the production of design deliverables using BIM appropriate software packages. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a practical applicable of structural engineering design to suit specific site requirements.
CH2M provide design and management services to clients in the water sector, and are currently involved in a number of interesting projects. This position will enable the successful candidate to contribute to the civil and structural design of major engineering structures commonly requiring the consideration of complex load conditions together with soil and/or fluid interaction. It will also enable the development of appropriate skills to facilitate career progression within the company.
The primary functions of this role will be the development and provision of technical and design related inputs on water retaining and flood defence structures, and other associated building structures together with the production of engineering design calculations using 2D/3D FE analysis and design software packages.
You will be assisting with the management of design related activities as directed by the team leader and lead engineers and interfacing with other team members and joint venture contractors on design related matters and mentoring of junior engineers.
Other duties will include:
- Liaising with client representatives, other discipline consultants and contractors working on various projects
- Undertaking site inspections and assessments of existing structures, including knowledge of associated H&S requirement
- Taking responsibility for the management of work tasks including reporting (technical and financial) to project manager
- Contributing, as required, to the preparation of bid submissions
Applicants should possess relevant engineering qualifications (technical Bachelors or Masters Degree) with relevant experience. You will demonstrate a commitment to professional development, and be a Chartered Engineer or actively working towards obtaining chartered status with recognized institution for civil and or structural engineering.
Candidates will exhibit knowledge in the following areas:
- Design and detailing of structures especially in concrete, and preferably with some experience in steel and masonry, for static and accidental load conditions
- Understanding of foundation design and how the interaction of the structure with the underlying soil strata impacts the design of the structure
- Experience in designing to Eurocodes and other appropriate design standards and specifications
- Understanding of structural analysis using industry standard software with linear elastic techniques
- Good commercial awareness with an understanding of contractual issues
A knowledge of the following would also be beneficial: design of embedded retaining walls, extreme environment load derivation, soil structure interaction and foundation design, fluid structure interaction, construction processes and management, BIM, H&S requirements and designers risk assessments.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
At CH2M, the greatest challenges provide the biggest rewards. Each day, your drive and creative ideas will be providing solutions that help build a better tomorrow. Whether it is the pride that comes with accomplishment, personal growth or making a difference in the world, you will discover true success in a career that brings out the best in you at CH2M. Ready? Let’s get to work.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.