Construction Safety, Health & Environment Coordinator/Advisor
5 days left
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
The STFC Estates and Facilities Management department is responsible for the development of our three principal campuses; the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, housing science and technology facilities, workshops and laboratories.
About The Role
We now have an exciting new opportunity for a Construction Safety, Health & Environment Coordinator/Advisor to join the Estates Team based at our Harwell Campus.
You will be actively supporting the successful and safe delivery of assigned construction works to programme and within allocated budget across the STFC Estate in Oxfordshire and Hampshire. You will also be responsible for the Management, development and control of the Estates Asbestos Management Plan, including asbestos control supervisory responsibilities for contraction projects and Building Maintenance. Responsibilities will also include line management of a small minor fabric works team and the management and coordination of appointed external professional teams and contractors.
You will be required to provide qualified professional support, advice and training to the organisation’s Estates & Operations teams to ensure that the organisation fully meets its compliance obligations relating to construction activities. Including, but not limited to, the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015), the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and the organisations’ Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) codes.
The primary duties will include:
- liaising closely with the Safety Health & Environment (SHE) department to influence SHE policy development
- providing health & safety advice and oversight for various projects incorporating all building disciplines
- instructing, implementing and managing works using NEC3 TSC and NEC3 ECC processes and protocols
- line management/supervisory responsibilities for a small Clerk of Works team
- initial and on-going liaison with STFC Project Managers and contractors
- reviewing and commenting on contractors’ Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- providing specialist SHE advise to management meetings
- undertaking frequent site inspections to monitor that contractors are complying with organisational SHE codes.
- You will hold a formal building qualification (NVQ level 3 and above) and a nationally recognised Health and Safety qualification (NEBOSH) or equivalent qualification.
- You will demonstrate significant experience and knowledge of the construction industry, as well as knowledge of current and relevant Health & Safety legislation and have experience of managing/supervising teams.
- You will have experience of management of safe systems of work and control of Asbestos. Experience of CDM, Quality Systems and Safety is essential.
- You will display excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills to liaise with a range of staff and contractors.
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board by clicking on apply button.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.