Due to continued growth and success of Robinson Structures, we are looking to recruit a Turnkey Estimator to join our busy and growing company. The successful candidate must be proficient and willing to undertake all aspects of the role.
This is a great position for the right candidate to join our a multi-million pound turnover company, where they will join a vibrant team and work very closely with other departments and will play a vital role in ensuring we exceed customer expectations.
Closing date for applications is: Friday 18th August 2017
You will be responsible for preparing preliminary budgets, cost estimates, and bid proposals for various types of commercial construction jobs.
You will build effective relationships with team members, internal and external customers, suppliers, and subcontractors. You will report to the Sales Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare estimates with the necessary level of detail for all design stages, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimated costs of materials, labour, and plant required to fulfil all provisions of the contract from simple to complex.
- Evaluate material, labour and plant pricing for all trade disciplines.
- Assist with maintaining the estimating cost database to ensure costs are up to date.
- Manage job-specific estimating teams in the assembly and submission of bids.
- Establish responsibilities and delegate actions to team members; coordinate and supervise work; establish schedule for the completion of tasks to meet project requirements; keep Sales Director advised in regard to timescales.
- Review estimates to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal submission.
- Consult with clients, architects, subcontractors, and suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, identify cost savings, and resolve issues.
- Study specifications to assist the operations team in planning for construction.
- Research construction documents and analyse specifications to determine estimated costs.
- Work with the operations team throughout the pre-construction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining the requirements of the project.
- Understand how to create proper bid packages and provide alternative bids.
- Ensure that all work items from scope review are included in the estimate and that the cost trail from Sales to Contracts is clear and correct.
- Manage the supplier selection process, ensuring that the appropriate team members are part of the approval process for suppliers. Issue bid invitations to subcontractors - Ensure adequate bid coverage for each trade package, generate interest and get commitments on subcontractor participation.
- Review subcontractor and supplier bids for conformity to contract requirements and determine acceptable bids.
- Present and explain project budgets to clients, designers, and operations teams.
- Communicate with subcontractors on key issues, such as project schedule, scope of work, and other bid information.
- Seek and qualify new subcontractors.
- Forward thinking, progressive team member who has excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Thorough understanding of project logistics and programmes.
- Ability to read and understand construction specifications and drawings.
- Strong knowledge of standard estimating practices.
- Excellent oral and written business communication skills.
- Comfortable and convincing in presentations and project interviews.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask, prioritise, and handle pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical, organisational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and a positive attitude at all times.
- Ability to get along with different personalities and be a fully contributing team player.
- Proficiency with the following software: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Construction Management preferred
- Minimum 5 years construction experience.
- Significant knowledge and experience of Traditional and Design & Build projects.
- Experience of estimating work packages from substructure through to fit-out
- Proven track record of success working internally with a team and externally with Clients, Architects/Engineers, and subcontractors.
- Strong commercial/ industrial sector experience preferred
We are a modern, family-owned, customer-focused construction company specialising in projects involving structural steelwork, built upon three generations of the Robinson family. We are passionate about what we do, not only in the practical and technical processes that we employ, but about the benefits that our projects can deliver for our clients and society as a whole.
We put our clients first, and aim to add real value to their organisations by the way we approach our projects. Our personal and professional style of management seeks to get close to our clients, to understand what they need, to deliver the best project possible.
We operate across numerous sectors including recycling, healthcare, education, transport, offices, agriculture, etc. We offer a number of services to our clients including structural steelwork, cladding, groundworks, walling, refurbishment, electrical services and are fully conversant with a range of contractual arrangements (such as JCT and NEC3) and procurement routes (such as design & build, traditional and PFI/PPP).