Chief Estimator for leading £90m p/a Civil Engineering & Rail Contractor
Main Purpose of Job
To review, understand and complete the pricing of documents to arrive at the most competitive and complete cost of resources to deliver the requirements in accordance with the documents.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The production of estimates for bids which place the company in the most competitive and commercially advantageous position and will include:
- Reviewing and understanding the requirements of the documents.
- Attending site visits with the other members of the assigned bid team.
- Attending meetings with the assigned bid team to agree and sign off specific resource requirements and outputs.
- Liaison with the estimating buyer to ensure price procurement of materials and subcontracts by due date.
- Liaison with the Client representative to obtain clarifications or further information
- Production of Bill of Quantities/Schedules as required
- Build ups of cost of resources for all activities to produce most competitive net cost
- Builds ups of cost of Supervision and other On-costs
- Compilation and assessment of risks for inclusion with those of other bid team members into risk register.
- Compilation of pricing clarifications for inclusion with tender submission.
- Production of the tender breakdown (Tender Workbook) for discussion and agreement at the tender adjudication.
- Attendance at tender adjudication meeting
- Amending the tender price in accordance with the agreements signed off at the tender adjudication.
- Completion of all tender documentation for return by due date
- Compile tender submission letter
- Check all deliverables are enclosed and submit tender by due date and time.
- Contact Client to ensure receipt of Tender
- Maintain contact with Client to ascertain our position .
Skills and Knowledge
- Computer literate with knowledge of estimating software
- An understanding of different forms of Conditions of Contract
- Knowledge of different Methods of Measurement
- Technical construction knowledge
- Commercial awareness and understanding.
- Resourcefulness and ability to work under pressure.
- Identify and allow for Health and Safety issues to provide a safe place of work at all times.
- Good communicator.
- Experience in assessing and pricing of Civil Engineering operation.
- Ability to build up price from basics.
- Some experience of working within site environment
- Experience of working within a team.
- Experience of estimating civils works, ideally within the rail industry