Programme Manager/Project Manager - Cardiff University, Construction/Estates
Your new company
Cardiff University is established as one of the Britain's leading research universities. We are an ambitious and innovative university with a bold and strategic vision located in a beautiful and thriving capital city. Our research is world-leading, and we provide an educationally outstanding experience for our students.
The University is committed to further improving its campus and facilities with a new masterplan and £1billion campus development programme. This new vacancy offers the opportunity to help deliver key capital investment that will underpin the Universities' ambitious programmes of change designed to improve the student experience and transform teaching and research.
You will join a team who continue to develop change in the built environment. To achieve our ambitions, we recognise it is our people who will make the real difference and I hope you will consider joining our team working with talented and ambitious colleagues at the acknowledged leader of higher education in Wales.
Your new role
This specific appointment has arisen to lead and coordinate the delivery of projects and lead programme level activities for the Centre for Student Life project and provide input to steering groups and committees.
The Programme Manager will work with Schools, Colleges, and other Professional Services to help develop and implement university strategies, working with Pro Vice Chancellors, College Registrars and Heads of School/Department, to develop business cases and deliver change.
In order to achieve this the role holder will be expected to:
- Develop and implement a range of programmes effectively, within the tolerances set and in line with an agreed set of priorities in order to deliver the agreed strategic aims and goals of the University;
- Manage the Programme Budget to ensure programmes are delivered to within agreed costs;
- Work with senior stakeholders within each programme, demonstrating strong leadership and knowledge to ensure credibility and develop understanding, ownership, and involvement;
- Supported by the project teams, develop and maintain relevant documentation for the programme;
- Work closely with Steering Groups and SRO to facilitate effective decision making on behalf of the programme board;
- Support the running of the programme generally and the running of programme board meetings, and deputising as appropriate
- Manage regular programme team meetings to secure quality of delivery
- Management of the project delivery teams
- Lead the review and adjustment of governance arrangements for the programme.
The job requires the role holder to:
In association with the Deputy Director of Estates (Campus Development), develop the required strategies, job roles and organisational structures to support effective delivery. Understand all facets of the business and its associated relationships. Work across all functional departments to bring resource and support to The Development Programme in a matrix management environment.
What you'll need to succeed
- Broad, demonstrable experience of managing large and complex capital programmes (£30m+)
- Proven ability in the management and successful delivery of full lifecycle programmes, demonstrating the ability to coordinate and control the programme within defined timescales and budgets.
- An ability to take a strategic view and to develop ideas, initiatives and new approaches to complex issues, and to employ tactical thinking when integrating multiple programme demands.
- Excellent senior stakeholder management skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, demonstrating the sensitivities required to balance and resolve issues, define priorities and ensure understanding and buy in to the programme and its objectives.
- Excellent communication, report writing, and presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to employ differing communication techniques and approaches in relation to the audiences' preferences.
- Experience of working with multiple teams; internal and external.
- Well-developed leadership, management, planning and organisational skills.
- Skilled in the use and interpretation of relevant forms of prog