Flood Asset Maintenance & Engineering Coordinator
Flood Asset Maintenance & Engineering Coordinator
Closing date: 24th January 2018 23:55hrs
We are the Environment Agency. We protect and improve the environment.
You will be part of a diverse organisation which takes pride in welcoming applicants from all sections of the community.
With around 7,000km of flood defences on rivers and 22,000 flood defence structures, some as complex as the Thames Barrier, maintaining our flood defences is just as important as constructing new ones.
The role is extremely varied and will include delivering construction projects and maintaining a range of flood defence structures.
You'll manage a range of the Environment Agency's flood defence structures including; sluices, flood walls, embankments, gates, trash screens, culverts and pumping stations as well as routine river maintenance work.
The work is varied and includes; maintenance specification and review of works, management of construction projects and comprehensive maintenance, dealing with the public and professional organisations and data and financial management.
A key part of the role will be assisting with incident response and you will fulfil a flood risk management duty role which can involve deployment of demountable defences, organising personnel and supervising work.
Do you want to make a difference to people's lives? Join us to help protect even more homes and businesses from future flooding.
You will work in an experienced and friendly team that manage flood risk maintenance activities. Our Asset Performance teams make sure that all assets are inspected, surveyed, assessed, maintained and operated in a safe and effective manner to reduce flood risk for people and property. We also ensure that flood risk is managed by others, often inspecting assets and encouraging intervention if required.
You may have worked for an asset management organisation or contractor and been directly involved in projects or the delivery of asset maintenance work. From your work and/or qualifications you will have experience of asset maintenance and repair projects. In addition to be able to manage a varied workload. Exposure to engineering projects is desirable.
You should ideally have:
- Practical experience of whole life asset management, ideally within the flood risk sector
- Health, Safety & Environmental experience and awareness
- Engineering qualification and/or practical experience (environmental, civil, mechanical/electrical)
- Project Management experience
- Understanding of Construction Design Management (CDM)
- Comfortable using information technology and associated software, ideally GIS tools
First-class communication skills are a must and it's important that you're skilled at managing multiple priorities. You'll be an intelligent problem solver too, with a methodical work approach.
A full UK driving license is required for this role.
As well as a competitive starting salary we offer:
- A generous career average pension scheme (18.5% contributions from us)
- Holiday allowance related to grade and length of service, rising from 27 days to 30 days per year, plus eight statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes
- Leave for examinations, approved studies, public duties, special/reserve forces, environmental work, trade union representatives and health and safety representatives
- A range of flexible working options, including flexi-time - these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance
- Occupational health benefits, including counselling and advisory service, eye care service and access to our employee assistance service
- Interest free loans for season tickets and/or bicycles and safety equipment
- Childcare vouchers scheme
- Subsidised sports and social clubs
- Up to two days paid environmental outcome days each year. These give you the opportunity to take part in community activities with a clear environmental outcome for people and wildlife
- Many other rewards, including shopping, leisure, fitness, finance and travel benefits and discounts
Everyone starting in a new role with the Environment Agency will be welcomed into the team and given all of the training and support you need to succeed.
As part of your comprehensive induction you will also be provided with all the equipment required for your role.
There are also fully funded opportunities to develop further academic/professional qualifications.
The Environment Agency offer an extensive range of employee benefits.
For further information on this role, the employee benefits and the work of the Environment Agency, please download the candidate pack.
For any questions relating to this role, please contact: FCRMRecruitment@environment-agency.gov.uk.
These vacancies are a mixture of permanent and fixed term contract opportunities. We are currently recruiting for this role in the following locations:
Bedford, Bideford, Blandford Forum, Bodmin, Brampton, Bridgwater, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ely, Exeter, Ipswich, Kettering, Launceston, Lincoln, London, Norwich, Penrith, Preston, Rye, Sale, Seaford, Sevenoaks, Warrington, Welwyn Garden City and West Malling.
Interviews are scheduled to take place from week commencing February 26.
We apply the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check when recruiting staff to our posts. This includes a basic criminal records check. Some posts may require CTC level security clearance, this will be confirmed to you during the recruitment process.