Senior Temporary Works Design Engineer
Balfour Beatty is looking to recruit a permanent Senior Temporary Works Design Engineer to support and the lead the management and delivery of temporary works engineering services within our Major Projects division, and contribute to the winning of potential projects.
- Deliver and verify Temporary Works Designs, providing expert technical support
- Contribute to winning work by providing strong technical support to tenders by identifying innovative and cost effective strategies and solutions.
- Ensure design risks are considered and prepare design risk assessments
- Lead design assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with the engineering and projects teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site and in tenders.
- Attend meeting and interviews
- Actively contribute to developing and sharing knowledge and best practice across CSUK
- Support the safety by Design & Engineering (knowledge sharing) forums
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure the Balfour Beatty maintains its position at the forefront of the industry
- Coach and develop less experience team members
- Exercise designer’s obligations of the Construction Design & Management (CDM) regulations
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- You must be degree qualified in Civil/Structural Engineering and have or be studying towards a professional qualification, MICE or MIStructE or equivalent. Must hold a valid CSCS card
- You will need to be up to date with technical knowledge of temporary works design and engineering and industry best practice.
- You will be both focussed and thorough and have the professional credibility to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken. You will therefore be a subject matter expert with a good understanding in the engineering field.
- Able to undertake both repetitive and complex Structural Engineering/geotechnical calculations
- Good working knowledge of a range of structural and geotechnical software packages and BIM is required.
- You will have an understanding of the principles of framework procurement and experience within the most current forms of procurement
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure
- Customer centric and flexible in approach, you will have the insight to understand the range of opportunities in invitations to tender and be willing to challenge the norm.
- You will know what good looks like in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of leading technical aspects of work winning bids in a timely manner
- You should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on engineering excellence, the customer and Major Project’s business