Quality Engineer (Tunnels)
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a permanent Quality Engineer (Tunnels) to join our Major Projects team on Hinkley Point C for our Marine and Tunnelling contracts.
As a Quality Engineer (Tunnels) your duties will be:
- To ensure the Project plans for delivering Products and Services right first time that meet requirements every time and drive the “Elimination of Waste” and reduce the “Cost of Quality” through: -:
- Ensuring the Project produce Quality management planning (including business unit/contract quality plans and industry specific plans)
- Challenging systems and processes to ensure best practice and continual improvement
- Ensuring the development, maintenance and application of appropriate content for the BMS to meet the needs of the business
- Ensuring any specific Project or SBU standards requirements are effectively built into the BB ways of working within the BMS and / or local Quality Planning
- Monitoring and report Project/SBU business performance relating to Quality and agree (and monitor) management actions to drive performance improvements
- Undertaking investigations and implement effective root cause analysis (and enable the identification of corrective actions)
- Ensuring business awareness of Quality policy and BMS quality requirements
- Coaching & developing quality skills in business streams
- Ensuring the business is compliant with ISO 9001 and other client/industry/Project/SBU quality related requirements
- Provision of Quality related training to equip the business with the skills to drive improvements in Quality performance
- Interfacing with audit function to support local processes
- Providing support to allow Management System Reviews to be successfully conducted
- Facilitation of quality related improvement initiatives
- Production of appropriate reports and management information
- Living the Balfour Beatty Values.
Personal Qualities and Experience
Specific Divisional/SBU requirements:
- Experience of Major Civil Engineering projects, preferably tunnelling.
- Extensive experience of construction in the UK Nuclear sector
- Knowledge and experience of working to UK and international standards and codes of practice for the UK Nuclear sector.
- Quality subject matter expertise and proven track record in Quality Management
- Preferably with experience of working in a construction environment, with Mechanical, Civil and electrical knowledge.
- Confident in working with Senior Management and able to challenge existing ways of working to support business improvement
- Build strong relationships with delivery teams and project managers.
- Training and facilitation skills and experience
- A formal qualification in Quality Management e.g. Diploma in Quality Management (UK Chartered Quality Institute, British Standards Institute or equivalent)
- Preferably trained ISO 9001 Lead Auditor and/or Internal Auditor
- Either a CQI Member or working towards membership
- Working knowledge of Lean and Six Sigma.
- Previous experience of managing a team.
- Competent user of modern office computer systems e.g. Microsoft Office
The following qualities/experience is also essential;
- Has an ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts.
- Pays attention to detail and sees things through to completion.
- Can deliver reports orally and written in an objective and persuasive manner.
- Has good interpersonal and communication skills
- Is a self-starter who manages their own time and seeks to add value to their function.
- Is able to work within a multi-discipline team.
- Able to command respect across the business and within the Function.
- Is good at building relationships and can influence effectively.
- Can demonstrate initiative and resilience.
- CSCS Card Holder
- UK/EU National or holder of Security Clearance