Engineering Services Manager
Engineering Services Manager
Department/Division: Engineering & Project Management
Cost Center: 12340
Position #: 50000353
Job Code: 5115BR
Reports to: Director, Engineering & Project Management
Provides direction and support to a multi-disciplinary construction support services and engineering team performing the full range of technical and engineering design, quality assurance, cost estimation and associated professional construction services to facilitate KAUST - wide improvement projects assigned to the E&PM department. Also has lead responsibility for technology evaluation, development of KAUST engineering and design standards, engineering studies, the management of KAUST Technical Library, and contract management of outsourced design and consulting services.
• The Manager shall be responsible for the development of conceptual and detailed design packages for academic and non-academic new build and refurbishment projects.
• Coordinates the development of the Capital programs of Engineering & Project Management.
• Provides engineering services and troubleshooting advice to Facilities Management maintenance and utilities organisations
• Supports the Operations engineering needs and provides engineering improvements to enhance day to day operations
• Assists other KAUST departments in the initial concept development of capital programme initiatives
• Leads efforts on multi-disciplinary teams, and provides engineering design and technical direction to site and project teams.
• Executes sustainable operational best practices and manages the construction support services/engineering team in a manner that will ensure that FM’s energy conservation and carbon footprint reduction objectives are met
• Interacts with University Projects teams to support the sites’ engineering needs
• Provides technical and engineering support to all Engineering & Project Management functions/operational areas
• Ensures that designs meet KAUST approved standards and specifications and that alternate designs or changes are economical, operable and meet safety, and maintenance requirements
• Makes appropriate engineering management related decisions in the current overall economic context of the business unit, and instate knowledgeable expertise for cost estimation and material quantification scheduling.
• Ensures that all developments meet appropriate engineering standards, and is the principal point of contact with the QA/QC team to ensure that these standards are understood and collectively employed on all projects
• Oversees the development of engineering quality programs and their implementation
• Responsible for managing and administering the KAUST technical library
• Responsible for maintenance of project records including drawings, specifications, logs, financial reports and project correspondence.
• Manages and builds the required drafting capabilities to support the engineering activities.
• Conducts studies to evaluate existing technologies and plan adaptation of new technologies to enhance assets performance and sustainability.
• Participates in the development of related policy and procedures to construction support and engineering services requests and activities
• Participates in the technical evaluation of contractor and sub-contractor proposals
• Supports in the master planning, engineering and documentation and energy studies as related to the University sustainable initiatives.
• Responsible for contract management of the design and consulting services framework and other ad hoc third party consultancy support service contracts.
• Develops and maintains professional training programmes for the in house technical team.
• A construction professional with wide ranging experience of major new build and refurbishment/renewal construction projects and management of the associated engineering, design and wider consultancy services
• Understanding of the best industry practices regarding construction work processes and maintenance activities
• Excellent leadership skills and experience of leading and developing large multi-disciplinary teams.
• Understanding of asset and capital planning and management.
• Excellent computer skills with knowledge of Windows/MS Office packages, AutoCAD/Revit (or similar design software), and associated construction related technical software systems.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage own workload and priorities
• Industrial experience regarding plant mechanical design, maintenance, operations, and troubleshooting.
• Detailed knowledge of plant equipment, project execution, system integration and construction and installation techniques.
• Familiarity with International Technical standards, accounting practices, cost estimation, procurement policies and contract management.
• An analytical thinker adept at problem solving, communication and interpersonal understanding, customer focus, entrepreneurial acting/initiative, team leadership/collaboration, and coaching.
• Self-motivated, determined and ambitious with an ability to work with minimal hands on direction
• A team player who actively demonstrates and contributes to the values and objectives of the E&PM department, and the wider FM and University community.
• Bachelor in Engineering or similar degree from a recognized institution, advanced degree encouraged
• A minimum of 10 to 12 years of related experience.