Chief / Lead Estimator – Civil Engineering - £150k - London
About our client: Our client is a privately owned specialist sub contractor that has been established for over 30 years now and has an outstanding reputation in their chosen field of expertise, and are one of the most profitable companies in the South East per million turnover. In recent years they have taken on new shareholders with new goals and ambitions, with a plan to expand the company both in turnover and profit but also into other fields across the civils sector. Always known as a specialist sub contractor, the aim is to eventually become a main contractor with a reputation at being able to deliver projects across various sectors, from Groundwork, demolition and RC Frames, to Rail and infrastructure and with the history they have, no doubt they will be a great success at this.
They are now seeking a Lead Estimator to help them make the move into Large Civil engineering work and eventually into Main contracting, so the ideal candidate will come from a Mid to large tier Civil engineering business and have UK experience.
To act as the technically competent person responsible for competitively pricing tenders from new and existing clients. To secure the future profitability of the Group by tendering and winning contracts for each division whilst operating to appropriate industry standards. To obtain feedback, both positive and negative, on submittals to continually improve the Company’s estimating service and thereby secure more works.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
1. Works under the direction of the Board.
2. Develops specific knowledge of the fields for which responsible, and as required assists in other areas.
3. Maintains and enhances knowledge of programming, pricing and competitive market rates.
4. Maintains a programme of continual professional development (CPD) through courses and seminars; feeds back to colleagues and manager.
1. Responsible for pricing tender enquiries from the client’s bill of quantities or by building a bill of quantities from architects/engineers drawings and specifications.
Ensures contract requirements regarding time, phases, quality and quantity are fully appraised
2. before pricing.
3. Analyses and identifies areas within the tender enquiry to establish where the company can maximise profit/returns.
4. Reviews the tender requirements taking into consideration the drawings, site Investigation, and any specification and contract conditions.
5. Ensures that tenders are completed and submitted to tight deadlines to ensure that tenders are received by the client within the specified timescales.
6. Maintains company records to ensure the database accurately reflects the current status of all tenders.
7. Presents completed tenders to the Board & General Manager for approval to meet company requirements.
8. Makes use of commercial buying opportunities.
9. Liaises with the client to secure appropriate commercial and contractual terms.
10. Secures pricing information from the company Buyer for materials, plant and equipment to establish where economies of scale can be achieved.
11. Assess the contract risk to limit the risk to the company and maximise opportunities.
12. Communicates with suppliers and sub-contractors to receive the most competitive prices for each tender.
13. Undertakes site visits to review the logistical issues of the site; inspects the quality of materials used and establishes any constraints.
Health & Safety, Environment and Quality
1. Reviews pre-tender Health and Safety plans, Environmental plans, planning consents, specifications etc. To ensure due allowance for all HSEQ requirements.
2. Complies with all current Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental policies and procedures to ensure that the company meets all statutory requirements; promotes a culture of safe working practices for the department and direct reports.
3. Accounts for the provision of PPE and additional staffing to provide enhanced safe working.
4. Ensures that adequate resources are allocated to all contracts at tender stage.
5. Analyses the client’s reports regarding potential contamination of materials and builds into the tender.
1. Manage tendering costs including site investigations and tender design work.
2. Ensures that tenders submitted include for agreed margins..
3. Undertakes work to achieve targets
1. Carries out tender programming to sufficient detail to ensure contractual obligations with regard to time can be met.
2. Ensures prices are appropriately informed by programme constraints.
3. Ensures all tender documents (including drawings), correspondence, build-ups, allowances etc for successful tenders are copied into handover files for the appropriate General Manager, Commercial Manager and Contracts/Project manager.
4. Copies all contract documentation (excluding drawings) being specifications, Pre-tender Health and Safety Plan, etc to the HSEQ Manager on contract award to ensure the Contract Management Plan can be developed in a timely manner.
5. Attends the Contract Start-Up meeting post contract award and after fulfilling points 4 and 5 above to ensure the contract is appropriately mobilised.
6. Collates feedback from Operations on outputs and rates to continuously improve the data upon which tenders are predicted.