Design Engineer CRE (Rail) - for Leading Rail Sub Contractor UK
Main Purpose of Role
To provide, or to lead a team providing safe, practical and economic designs for internal clients to a high standard of professional competence and in compliance with Company procedures.
- Establish and promote best practice in health, safety and environmental matters in conjunction with the SHQE department.
- Represent the design department when necessary at internal and external meetings, Manage the interface with external or in house design teams on behalf of the Design Manager.
- Liaise with other departments and project teams within the company with respect to design requirements.
- Undertake site visits when appropriate.
- Undertake the responsibilities of project design engineer if appointed.
- Ensure that design work undertaken is carried out in accordance with company procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained.
- Ensure that chargeable work is identified and evaluated including the preparation of adequate records of time spent.
- Ensure that feedback on design work is collated and saved in accordance with procedure.
- Coach individual staff members.
- Prepare conceptual designs from with a view to the preparation of safe, practical and economic designs in accordance with current legislation.
- Prepare detailed designs in accordance with current standards and codes including calculations, design risk assessments and sufficiently detailed sketches for the preparation of working drawings.
- Check the design work of other staff members and external designers.
- Summarise quantities relating to design tasks for pricing purposes.
- Maintain responsibility for the storage, filing and archiving of documents relevant to your design tasks.
- Provide advice and guidance on design and operational issues.
- Limited responsibility for preparation of design tenders and sub contracts.
- Administration and monitoring of Change Controls.
- Reporting of monthly progress report.
- Implementation of Temporary Works requirements and associated registers.
- Produce design or checking services to the requisite standards on behalf of the Company.
- Attend monthly site progress meetings.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Construction/Design Experience – 2 years (degree), 5 years (HND/HNC)
- Computer literate with strong skills in Microsoft Excel and other design based software such as AutoCad and TEDDS
- Working knowledge of CDM 2007
- Experience of managing a team
- Design experience and mainetnance of railway structures.