Architect / Urban Designer
Birmingham, Bristol or Reading locations
This well-established and busy architectural consultancy has an exciting opportunity for talented and experienced housing layout architects / designers to join either the Birmingham, Bristol or Reading studios.
Birmingham office: friendly and busy atmosphere and conveniently located in the town centre.
Bristol office: made up of approximately 45 people and is situated in modern open-plan premises a short walk from Bristol Temple Meads station.
Reading office: made up of approximately 100 people and is situated in modern open-plan premises in central Reading, less than 10 minutes from the station.
Both the Reading and Bristol offices have teams working in architecture, masterplanning, landscape, graphic design and town planning.
The Birmingham office works predominantly in town planning, however, as an investment priority for the practice (and having recently established a new design team) they now also have a growing urban design team.
The architecture team work with a ‘one team’ approach, which offers the opportunity for the successful candidate to work within and across all 3 offices.
- Producing high quality hand drawn proving and feasibility layouts at 1:500 scale.
- Providing input to design and access statements along with assessment of opportunities and constraints and other associated graphic output.
Skills and Experience
- Housing layout designer, with experience in both contemporary and traditional housing on greenfield and redevelopment/regeneration schemes.
- Strong freehand drawing layout design skills, including an ability to achieve both coverage and density.
- Excellent and in depth house builder / developer knowledge.
- An understanding of planning issues and local authority design standards.
- An ability to input into design and access statements including an awareness of opportunities and constraints.
- Ability to manage medium-to-large-scale projects (up to 300 houses).
- Business development capability – able to engage with clients and sell integrated design services.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit, Photoshop and Sketch-up would also be beneficial.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved with a number of ongoing live residential, commercial and mixed-use projects and widen your professional experience where you will be supported in a practical environment and offered excellent professional development and career opportunities.