Development & Construction – Contract Lead (Ebbsfleet Central)
Development & Construction – Contract Lead (Ebbsfleet Central)
c.£75k per annum
Deadline for applications: 5pm Thursday 7 July
Interviews: 26 July (Ebbsfleet)
The Ebbsfleet Development Corporation (EDC) was established by Government in 2015 as an Urban Development Corporation with development management planning powers to deliver a new Garden City at Ebbsfleet in North Kent. Ebbsfleet Garden City is an exciting new community of up to 15,000 homes focused around Ebbsfleet International Railway Station and also embracing the existing communities of Swanscombe, Northfleet, Greenhithe and the adjacent towns of Dartford and Gravesend.
The EDC is working collaboratively with public and private sector partners and local stakeholders, investing in forward funding infrastructure and unblocking and accelerating development at pace. The Garden City is gathering momentum and almost 3,000 quality new homes have been completed. Strongly supported by Central Government the EDC’s Board has set out a vision for the first new Garden City for 100 years and the largest new town in 45 years.
The Corporation is now recruiting to the role of Development and Construction Contract Lead.
The role will provide effective management of the externally appointed Development Management Company to ensure they successfully deliver the design, programming, delivery, financial oversight and coordination of an enabling works infrastructure package to EDC’s requirements. The role will also provide the client side oversight, assurance and management of the design and delivery of a significant package of infrastructure and enabling works for, initially, the first phase of development at Ebbsfleet Central across two distinct planning phases: pre-construction and construction; with future phases to follow.
The postholder will also perform a wider role within the wider Ebbsfleet Central Project, providing construction advice on other phases of development and inter-related projects and supporting the overarching project strategy.
Main Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The post holder will be required to:
- Lead the client side oversight, assurance and management of the Development Management Company who will be appointed to deliver the design, programming, delivery, financial oversight and coordination of an enabling works infrastructure package for, initially, the first phase of development at Ebbsfleet Central (with future phases to follow) to meet EDC requirements.
- Lead and be responsible for the contract management of the Development Management Company through pre-construction and construction phases including (but not limited to):
- Ensuring the Development Management Company deliver their contractual responsibilities by establishing effective contract management mechanisms, which will include progress meetings and status reports.
- Reviewing and supporting the Principal Designer, Design Team and Principal Contractor procurement processes (to be led by Development Management Company) and contract documents to ensure EDC requirements are met, and procurement processes are run in accordance with EDC Procurement Policy.
- Oversee the Development Management Company to ensure they are effectively managing the Principal Designer, Design Team and Principal Contractor and that they plan, design and deliver the enabling works infrastructure package for Phase 1 in accordance with EDC’s vision and objectives.
- Assessing progress reports, identifying issues and escalating these within EDC governance structures, ensuring decisions required from EDC are made in a timely manner to ensure progress remains on programme.
- Ensuring the Development Management Company is delivering and reporting on their CDM 2015 Regulation requirements and any associated responsibilities delegated to it by the EDC.
- Ensuring that the EDC, Development Management Company, Principal Designer and Principal Contractor risk registers are coordinated and responsibilities are clear, well defined and mitigating actions are tracked.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring procedures which assess for compliance with schedule, budget, quality, safety and overall conformity with the contract documents are in place.
- Regularly reviewing programme, budget, resourcing, risk and project plans to ensure work stays on programme.
- Attend relevant progress meetings where required to ensure EDC requirements are met.
- Provide oversight and liaise closely with the Development Management Company to manage the Principal Designer and Principal Contractor regarding changes to design, construction, work scope and schedules to minimise compensation events. Authorising compensation events which are within the approved budget and agreed delegation levels, ensuring that these are completed withing the required time period.
- Manage any contract matters quickly and efficiently and mitigate the impact of any issues which may arise.
- To establish, manage and maintain robust and effective project reporting processes and procedures for both pre-construction and construction stages, that align with EDC internal governance arrangements (including Ebbsfleet Central Project Board, Infrastructure and Investment Panel and EDC Board) and reporting to DLUHC and HM Treasury as required.
- Ensure robust and effective risk management systems are put in place by the Development Management Company for the pre-construction and construction elements of the programme, that these are delivered in line with the Corporation’s Risk Management policy and are coordinated with the EDC and the Principal Designer and Principal Contractor.
- Liaise regularly with other EDC consultants engaged on other elements of the project.
- Alongside the Development Management Company, to work collaboratively and flexibly with external stakeholders, particularly DfT, HS1 Ltd and Network Rail High Speed, maintaining key relationships to ensure the smooth running of the project and to ensure all appropriate approvals and consents are agreed in a timely manner to support project delivery.
- To manage and maintain the pre-construction and construction infrastructure budget and establish cost control processes ensuring these are compliant with the EDC’s financial framework.
- Ensure that the EDC is fully compliant in all respects with its role as client under CDM regulations for the project and the required reports are provided in a timely fashion to Board where required.
- To support the drafting and preparation of Business Cases required for the Ebbsfleet Central project.
- To work closely with other EDC staff to coordinate the management and delivery of construction projects across the Garden City.
- Ensure the integration of the wider Ebbsfleet Central Project Strategy within the pre-construction and construction work programme and work closely with other Senior Managers in the Ebbsfleet Central team to ensure alignment and integration across with wider project.
- To support the wider Ebbsfleet Central project and provide advice to other EDC projects as required.
The Essential and Desirable criteria for this role are as follows:
- Minimum of 5 years related Construction Management and Contract Management experience in a similar field.
- Considerable knowledge and experience of managing complex infrastructure construction projects of this nature and scale and a full understanding of all facets of the construction process from planning through to handover / completion of works.
- Demonstrable experience of establishing and maintaining robust project management governance and risk management process on projects of a similar nature.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of available forms of construction contract, and experience of determining the most appropriate form to suit client objectives.
- Experience of managing significant financial budgets with robust oversight.
- Experience of acting in a client role and managing external development managers and consultant teams.
- Demonstrable experience of contractor contract management, and the ability to achieve optimal outcomes through effective negotiation and dispute resolution.
- Experience of leading, undertaking and concluding commercial and contract negotiations related to infrastructure projects at a senior level.
- Experience of procuring and managing multi-disciplinary professional teams to achieve high quality outcomes.
- Experience in complex stakeholder management and building and fostering long term proactive and productive relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience and in depth knowledge of CDM 2015 Regulations, construction health and safety and associated compliance issues.
Skills and Abilities
- Analytical and capable of reviewing a range of information, data and situations and making difficult decisions.
- Strong financial and commercial awareness with high level of commercial acumen and negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand complex delivery issues and design solutions accordingly.
- To be able to take a strategic approach to ensure the delivery of the project.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and within a larger multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage and influence stakeholders.
- Proficient IT skills, particularly Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint and MS Projects.
- Highly organised and flexible, with the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Membership of a Professional Body associated with Construction / Project Management / Health and Safety would be an advantage.
- This post will be based at the Corporation’s offices in the Observatory, Castle Hill, Ebbsfleet. It will involve some occasional travel.
- The Corporation intends to adopt a hybrid working arrangement whereby staff mix working from home and the office.
- Working week of 37 hours, between Monday to Friday with occasional evening or weekend work