Building the present, creating the future
Are you interested in a career in construction? We have an exciting opportunity for a Groundwork Apprentice at our Great Yarmouth site!
Groundworkers are one of the first trades onto a civil engineering site and they work closely with supervisors and engineers in interpreting design specifications to prepare the site ready for structures and highways to be constructed.
Work includes setting out and preparing sub-surfaces ready for the structural work to begin, installing drainage systems, concreting, constructing roads, pathways and carrying out hard landscaping.
The role involves the following duties:
- Measure, mark, cut and install geo-membranes to stabilise soil and excavations
- Transport, place, compact and finish concrete to slabs/bases
- Install ironworks relating to access covers and frames, and gully grates and frames
- Install and test basic drainage and ducting
- Interpret and use drawings and specifications
- Use and maintain power tools and equipment
- Locate, excavate and expose buried utility services using location instruments
- Provide and remove temporary works including shallow excavation support
- Form, reinstate excavations and surfaces to sub-grades, sub-bases and road bases
Who are we looking for?
Skills which may benefit include :
- The ability to work well with your hands
- Problem-solving skills
- Practical skills for repairing and maintaining equipment
- Knowledge of building and construction
- Attention to detail
- Customer service skills
Your work environment
BAM Nuttall and Farrans Construction are two of the UK's largest civil engineering contractors that have joined together to deliver a new £121m river crossing in Great Yarmouth.
Starting on site in January 2021, the 28-month construction project will deliver a dual carriageway bridge that opens enabling river traffic through (Bascule Bridge), two underpasses and upgrading of the local road network.
The engineering works include various land piling methods, in river piling, highway construction, bridge construction and MEICA process.
Who are we?
We are one of Europe's leading digital construction companies, with approximately 20,000 employees. Our goal is to create sustainable environments that enhance people's lives. Here in the UK we have two operating companies, BAM Nuttall, who provide the very best of Civil Engineering and, BAM Construct UK, specialists in construction, facilities management and property.
We want YOU to be a part of our future, help us to stay on top of our game. Leading the way, with the latest digital technology and continuing to create sustainable environments!