New build Housing within Local Authority- Inspector of works, Clerk of works, Quality checking
A busy Housing arm within the property services department of Local Authority
Working within the New Build and regeneration team, you will be playing an integral role ensuring the highest quality standards are achieved on site, monitoring materials, workmanship and the implementation of design details. Focusing on:
Zero defects on homes at completion
Compliance with all relevant policies and procedures
A robust and proactive approach to risk
A robust and pro active approach to H&S
Delivery of projects on time within budget and to a high quality
Day to day:
1. Monitor the quality of all materials and workmanship ensuring compliance with the building contract, drawings and specification.
2. Carry out snagging and technical inspections to ensure completion to required standard.
3. Work with the QS Team and Development Team in reviewing pre-contract plans and specifications.
4. Identify potential problems and recommend satisfactory outcomes.
5. Work in close partnership with contractors and consultant design teams to support the overall objectives of construction to time, cost and quality.
6. Keep accurate records on site and intervene in issues that arise as required. This may include but is not limited to:a. reporting on programme. addressing resident complaints. reporting and escalating health and safety risks and breaches. reviewing construction is to the agreed design and materials
e. reviewing site logs and adherence to agreed Risk Assessments and Method Statements
7. Provide specific contract and general technical support to the wider team
8. Review contractors' site dilapidation reports pre-construction and review pre-handover of completed schemes to ensure site and surrounding area are in returned in the same or improved state.
9. Undertake final inspections and inspections during defects period
What you'll need to succeed
Site management and/or site inspection experience in a housing setting
Physically fit, and to be able to work at heights
Attentive to detail and able to check that works and materials to make sure that the work meets the required standard
To be technically competent with robust knowledge of
* construction methods
* construction materials
* the role of consultants within a construction design team
* ingredients of a sound Risk Assessment and Method Statement
* contractual and non-contractual defects
* construction contracts (NEC desirable)
Ability to work independently, to use initiative and make decisions within agreed parameters
Good communication and interpersonal skills: both written and verbal
To be able to establish and appropriate working relationship with contractors and design team
To be persuasive and diplomatic while remaining independent
To have good judgement to decide when to insist on corrections, when to persuade or negotiate, and when to compromise
What you'll get in return
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.