Environmental Health Officer for Private Sector Housing based in North London
Your new company
This East London based public sector organisation is currently looking to recruit a Private Sector Housing officer to join their Environment & Neighbourhoods, Community Safety & Enforcement Service Housing Improvement Team. The team are responsible for providing an efficient, high quality housing standards service that reacts quickly to complaints about disrepair and housing-related nuisance in private sector housing, assesses the nature, extent and urgency of the problem, and makes effective use of advice, financial assistance, risk based interventions, licensing and enforcement action to improve housing conditions and ensure that all homes in the private sector are safe and habitable.
Your new role
As an Environmental Health Officer, you will be responsible for enforcing and managing the appropriate legislative provisions, ensuring statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged in relation to housing, including Houses in Multiple Occupation. You will contribute to providing professional and technical advice whilst undertaking Environmental Health Housing enforcement and inspection duties. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- In accordance with The Housing Act 2004, using the licensing process and procedures, respond promptly to complaints about poor conditions and through investigation, evaluate risks, hazards and determine the nature cause remedy and urgency of problems.
- Work collaboratively with the owners and managers of licensable HMOs to ensure that their properties are licensed, well managed, maintained in a safe and habitable condition, and meet the amenity standards.
- Undertake a range of activities (including property inspections, HHSRS assessments, the drafting of schedules of work, the preparation and serving of notices, enforcement action and works in default), ensuring that all follow-up action is progressed and monitored in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Work collaboratively with Senior Environmental Health Officer to ensure that all notices are written, served and enforced in a correct and timely manner, and that the process for executing works in default operates in a way that ensures that nuisance and disrepair are properly addressed, and the Council is able to recover the cost of the works.
- Work collaboratively with registered social landlords, private landlords, rental agents, the Private Sector Lettings Team and the Temporary Accommodation Team to learn from tenants' complaints about the standard of the homes they let and/or manage
What you'll need to succeed
To be the successful candidate, you will need to have extensive experience of working in a team responsible for the enforcement of standards in private sector housing and using risk-based inspection programmes. You will also need to have experience of using environmental health and housing legislation to enforce and raise standards in private sector housing. In addition to this, it will enhance your application if you have experience of using IT applications, including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
What you'll get in return
- Competitive market hourly rate
- Long term contract
- Commutable location
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.