Quantity Surveyor Air x4
This is an exciting time to join the DIO Navy and DE&S team as a Quantity Surveyor within the DIO Major Programmes & Projects (MPP) team, delivering on multi-million-pound capital construction projects and programmes, critical to Defence Operations for the Army, Air, Navy and UK Strategic Command.
As a Quantity Surveyor in DIO, you will undertake a variety of estimating, reporting, cost modelling, benchmarking, and value for money studies for the delivery of Capital Projects. The MoD estate consists of a vast range of buildings and infrastructure including jetty and berthing projects, marine works, living accommodation and messes, technical facilities, training facilities and more.
As part of our commitment to our staff, we offer a flexi-time scheme allowing any hours worked over 37 per week, to be claimed back as time in lieu, upon manager approval. This includes travelling times to sites other than your permanent duty station.
- Provide direction and leadership to delivery teams, Technical Service Providers (TSP's) and Delivery Partners (DP's) to deliver DIO outputs with minimal direct supervision.
- Inspire, motivate and engage staff to deliver a customer focussed organisation. Implement change and encourage innovation, fostering a high performing team through continuous improvement.
- Champion and celebrate role model behaviour and challenge inappropriate behaviour.
- Provide support, guidance and mentor a Quantity Surveying Apprentice.
- Support initial demand planning and feasibility studies including development of Initial Planning Estimates (IPE)
- Provide option costings to support customers forward planning ABC submissions, within agreed timescales.
- Support programme delivery and project development, tasking of outsourced quantity surveying (QS)/cost management outputs, providing direction as appropriate.
- Provide the DIO intelligent client capability to deliver cost assurance, scrutiny and review of cost models included in feasibility and assessment studies for inclusion in Outline and Final Business Cases.
- Provide assurance capability into Gateway Reviews as the Subject Matter Expert to ensure cost management and reconciliation is being applied to projects at each stage.
- Provide advice, guidance and direction on financial issues (e.g. cash flow, compensation events) and where applicable engage and support DIO Commercial on any contractual issues that may arise.
- Provide validation, verification and assurance of Final Accounts for projects as and when directed.
- Promote best practice cost management policy and working standards/practice giving due credence to Industry Standards (e.g. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) formats).
- Provide cost analysis data through the management chain for the development and maintenance of the corporate cost database within the BCIS advising on statistics and trend analysis.
- Provide input into the Government Construction Strategy (GCS) cost performance and reporting process and the creation of benchmark parameters.
- Work collaboratively with DIO Commercial and DIO Financial colleagues in setting standards and policy at Project level.
- Develop cost database by preparing cost analysis from tendered proposals for benchmarking purposes to inform negotiations on future projects.
The MOD offers flexible working, excellent annual leave and maternity allowances and a very competitive pension scheme.
In DBS, we understand the everyday commitments both inside and outside the workplace, so our aim is to provide the flexibility to maintain a good work/life balance.
This post offers the following benefits:
- Free parking
- On site bistro
- Close to public transport routes
- Optional membership of Centurion Welfare Association which offers days out and trips to the theatre at discounted rates
Other benefits for MOD civil servants include:
- 25 days’ paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years' service
- An environment with flexible working options
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 11.55pm on Tuesday 2 August 2022.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.