Residential Worker, Reading, Full time or Ad hoc, Ongoing temporary with the opportunity to go permanent
Your new company
The National Probation Service across England and wales is a statutory criminal justice service, mainly responsible for the supervision of offenders in the community and the provision of reports to the criminal courts to assist them in their sentencing duties.
Your new role
As a residential officer you will be working a variety of shifts including, days, nights and weekends. We are currently looking for ad hoc cover or Full time workers.
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Contribute to effective team practice, communicate effectively with team members and pass on key information
- Undertake regular inspections of the building, including cellars and grounds throughout the period of duty, recording any occurrences/damage or defects, and monitor CCTV equipment
- Maintain an active presence in the AP at all times. Regularly engage with residents in a pro-social manner.
- Contribute towards the protection of residents, e.g. monitor in line with risk assessments.
- Monitor behaviour of high risk residents and motivate residents to ensure compliance. Respond appropriately to abusive or aggressive behaviour
- Ensure that the AP is locked and secure during curfew period. Confirm the presence and wellbeing of all residents overnight
- Facilitate the function of the AP as a first/emergency point of contact out of hours
- Escalate to the standby Manager any matters of concern to ensure the enforcement and /or compliance with court orders, licences , AP rules
- Support and create a safe working environment for staff, residents and visitors by adhering to Health and Safety legislation, ensuring Safe Systems of Work (SSOW) and Risk Assessments are followed reporting incidents to Manager. Undertake Health and Safety, fire alarm, curfews and room curfew checks in line with procedures.
- Undertake room searches, pack up residents possessions as directed
- Support the arrangement and delivery of purposeful activities for residents within the premises
- Supervise residents' meals
- Undertake effective induction of residents
- Follow prescribed medication procedures including the issuing of medication to residents and both weekly and nightly audit of medication sheets
- Undertake alcohol and drugs tests as requested by the Manager
- Undertake First Aid if a resident is injured or self-harms.
- Maintain hostel records and files as required, including data entry as necessary and contribute to the completion of incident reports
- Carry out safeguarding children duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
Deal with visitors and telephone calls, and monitor the work of visiting contractors in accordance with health and safety.
-Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes
What you'll need to succeed
The ideal candidate will have strong communication and interaction skills, be very security conscious and aware of there surroundings. A background in a similar role will be beneficial however not necessary.
All candidates will be put through a standard DBS background check and are subject to full compliance referencing.
They will be interviewing for these roles.
What you'll get in return
A competitive rate of pay and the opportunity to go permanent.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.