Building the present, creating the future
BAM PPP is recruiting a Senior Legal Manager to join the Legal team, based in Stepps, Glasgow.
The role will provide experienced legal support and commercial acumen on our PPP bid and infrastructure developments. Working primarily on new bids/developments the role will also provide some support to our operational concessions. There will be the opportunity to work with legal colleagues across our European business units and there may be opportunities to support our activities in new international markets.
The preferred base for the role is our office near Glasgow where the rest of the legal team is based but candidates who would base themselves at our other offices will be considered (Solihull in the UK, co Kildare in Ireland).
• Manage the selection and appointment of legal advisers (including the development of a scope of service and negotiation of a fee structure). Following appointment, facilitate external legal advisers' inputs via provision of relevant information/instruction and coordinating their responses. Liaise with insurance advisers in relation to insurance provisions in project documents. Manage due diligence advisors legal inputs.
•Analyse bid/submission requirements at each stage of a procurement or development to ensure that key legal and commercial deliverables are identified. Contribute to bid/development strategy working alongside development managers to ensure mutual awareness of project risk issues. Attend meetings (both internal and external) and proactively contribute, particularly to provide legal expertise and commercial acumen. Thereafter prepare and co-ordinate all necessary legal reports and finally monitor and update the final bid deliverables. Ensure at all times that the legal workstream is integrated with the commercial, financial and technical aspects of the project.
• Lead legal clarification meetings and due diligence with the clients, partners, funders and the internal project team. Respond to client clarifications relating to all aspects of the legal submission.
• Collaborate with project team to close out risk issues which will include
- Marking up agreements and/or legal commentaries
- Drafting subcontract, equity, corporate documentation as required
- Legal oversight of project appointments, e.g. Independent Certifier
- Reviewing and responding to comments from funders' legal advisers
- Co-ordination with the financing of the project
• Assist the finance team in ensuring that the finance/security documentation accurately reflects BAM PPP's agreed risk allocation, financial strategy and commercial positions agreed with the funders.
• Drive the production of documentation in readiness to close projects and work with external legal advisors to manage the financial close and signing process.
• Provide ad hoc and project advice to the delivery team ranging in scope from occasional advice on day to day routine matters to management of high value changes, claims and contract litigation
• Work closely with and support the Head of Legal Services in contributing to the delivery of the Business Unit's plans and to the wider co-ordination and co-operation with legal colleagues across the BAM PPP team in Europe and in new markets. This may include supporting international bids and concessions.
• Maintain professional and personal development to ensure an understanding of current trends, identifying and sharing best practice and sharing lessons learned.
Who are we looking for?
• At least 5 years PQE.
• Experience of project finance transactions (including PPPs) is preferable but candidates with general experience of construction, banking or commercial work interested in retraining and gaining experience in infrastructure developments including PPPs for a leading and ambitious infrastructure investor will be positively considered.
• Candidates should have a record of advising corporate / banking clients and proven commercial contracts expertise.
• Good understanding of construction, banking or commercial legal issues and ideally a deep understanding of PPP and/or infrastructure developments
• Strategic planning skills combined with strong judgement
• Ability to convince on the basis of solid arguments and strong, transparent communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent reporting writing skills with the ability to convey complex information concisely but accurately
• Connects naturally and a strong relationship builder and networker - building, maintaining and leveraging relationships.
• Strong personal values that align with BAM PPP's vision and values.
• Provides a visible example of leadership - prepared to speak out and sets a clear vision for the team and partners but also demonstrates the ability to listen and reflect on feedback.
• A team player by instinct with deep experience of team building, teamwork, knowledge sharing and learning from others
• Self-reliant and self-disciplined. Someone who can motivate themselves and welcomes the opportunity they will get to work with limited supervision
• Proactive, commercially astute, entrepreneurial
• Pragmatic, results-driven and agile
• Diligent with strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Flexible in terms of travel and location.
What's in it for you?
A challenging and continuously changing environment in a forward thinking organisation. In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, we support further personal growth and development.
We are committed to developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customer base and the communities in which we operate, creating an environment which enables everyone to fulfil their potential.
Who are we?
As a result of Royal BAM Group's increasing success in public-private partnership projects across Europe, BAM PPP was established in 2005 and today employs around 100 people in offices in Glasgow, Birmingham, Brussels, Bunnik, Dublin, Frankfurt, Cologne and London.
As one of Europe's leading operators in the delivery of public-private partnership projects, BAM PPP has a strong track record in delivering successful projects across various sectors and in key European locations, including Belgium, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Australia. A total of 49 projects have been realized with a total capital value of €12.1bn.
After a 10-year partnership with BAM investing jointly in new PPP projects, PGGM (one of Europe's largest pension companies) acquired a 50% stake in BAM PPP at the end of 2020. Under its new ownership the company has ambitious growth targets which includes targeting new markets (including Australia North America and Scandinavia) establishing BAM PPP as an worldwide player in the global PPP market and in the UK and Ireland to diversify into new sectors including the energy transition sector, water infrastructure and digital infrastructure.
BAM PPP has access to a wealth of international expertise, experience, and resources, underpinned by extensive local knowledge of the key PPP markets (education, general accommodation, health, justice, marine, rail, and roads) and provides the following services:
• Design, development, bid, and operational leadership;
• Understanding and management of risk;
• Sourcing, securing, and funding management; and
• Contract negotiation and commercial management.