Senior Quantity Surveyor
About Walker Construction:
Formed in 1964, Walker Construction are a family-owned business that prides itself on the approachability of our staff from top to bottom.
Covering the majority of England, we operate from our Head Office in Ashford along with our Midlands regional office in Buckinghamshire. Having a high regard for customer care and support, we have repeatedly proven our ability to complete projects of all sizes and levels of complexity, on time, within budget and to a high standard.
Since our creation, we have worked on diverse, award winning projects across England, covering many different specialisms of civil engineering. We are experts in highways and bridges, river, rail & building sectors. Our directly employed workforce and fleet allow us to be operationally resilient, proactive and continuously improve our high standards. We invest in our staff through development and training schemes.
What we can offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Company car or allowance
- 23 days annual holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Life Assurance
- Free eye test vouchers
- Critical Life Insurance
- Death in Service Benefit
- Company Profit Commission Scheme
- To successfully manage the commercial aspects of their contracts to Final Account status, maximising profitability whilst building relationships with clients to encourage repeat business.
- To mentor, educate and improve the skills and expertise of juniors and other team members.
- To have input into tender bid preparation when required.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of ten years’ experience working for a main contractor.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and a true team player that can communicate with clients, suppliers and colleagues.
- Experience of working on residential/commercial infrastructure projects comprising Section 278/38/104 works for both developers and local authorities.
- Experience with various forms of contract, mainly NEC, JCT and ICC.
- Experience working on Design and Build Contracts.
- Experience of training junior members of staff.
- Preparation and prompt submission of interim and final accounts in accordance with Contract Terms and Conditions.
- Manage day to day commercial and contract activities.
- Sub-contract procurement ensuring maximum value for money.
- Sub-contract valuations and final accounts & oversee and check Project QS and Assistant QS valuation submissions.
- Robust knowledge of NEC 3 and JCT Conditions of Contract.
- Preparation of Compensation Events/variations (depending on form of contract) & oversee and check Project QS and Assistant QS submissions.
- Contractual correspondence.
- Commercial reporting & review and verification of accurate PQS & AQS Commercial Reports, as necessary.
- Procurement of professional services for design etc.
- Ability to undertake site measures when required.
- Explore the contract for opportunities and entitlements.
- Work closely with site management teams to ensure contract objectives and margins are met.
- Be able to work clearly and accurately under pressure and tight timescales.
- Be able to think logically and laterally.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication and organisational skills of own work and work of personnel under their direction.
- Represent the company at all times in a professional manor promoting and encouraging our clients to provide us repeat business.
- Promote integration with other departments in such a way as to encourage a team ethic and feeling of unity within the company and project delivery teams.
- Seek to continually improve your own knowledge through training and self-development.
- Provide help and guidance for construction and pre-contract staff on commercial matters.
- Maximise cash flow through the management of the debtors report, ensuring the information is up to date for senior management on a weekly basis.
- Manage the procedure of checking prior to the signing up of contract document/letters of intent – this will include reviews of contract documents during the tender process so that a commercial response can be submitted with the tender bid.
- Liaise with the Commercial Director over bonds, warranties, PCG’s and other documentation as may be required for the contract.
- Engaging with Subcontractors and Designers as required ensuring that contracts are let to provide maximum protection to the company and value for money.
- Take ownership with the preparation and updating of the Cost Plan, working with the Project Delivery Team to obtain their input and buy in, enduring that it is utilised throughout the project to monitor and manage both cost and value.
- Prepare, submit and agree interim valuations/applications for payment as dictated by the Contract along with the submission of VAT invoices where required by the Client.
- Agree interim assessments with Subcontractors ensuring that payment notices/pay less notices are provided in strict accordance with the terms of the subcontract to protect the company. Creation of subcontract payments within coins in a timely manner to enable the company to have foresight of payments coming due to subcontractors.
- Take ownership of the change management and associated tracker/register on each contract ensuring that the provisions set out within the contract are strictly adhered to so as to avoid being time barred or penalised due to lack of adherence.
- Identifying risks and opportunities and assisting the delivery manager partner in updating and managing the Project Risk & Opportunity Management Plan.
- Prepare, submit and agree final accounts with both Clients and Subcontractors.
- Make requests for practical completion and certificates at the end of the defects period so as to enable the payment of retention monies and the closing out of contracts.
- Identify and advise the MQS of all contractual and contentious issues prior to a dispute arising.
- Have significant input into Quarterly Review Meeting reports along with delivery manager partner, including periodic subcontractor performance assessments.