Trading Standards Officer based in East London paying up to £35 per hour
Your new company
This East London based local authority are looking to recruit a Trading Standards Officer to join their Licensing and Regularity's services team
Your new role
To act as an Authorised Officer and undertake and enforce the full range of consumer protection and other relevant regulatory controls you will also be required t o support the work of the Environment and Sustainable Transport in working with other agencies to achieve compliance with all regulatory regimes . In addition to this, improving the quality, safety and standards of consumer protection provided to businesses and residents using a range of intervention strategies, including education, advice, informal action, licensing and enforcement and to assist the Council in meeting its statutory requirements under trading standards and weights and measures law.
Additional responsibilities include:.
- Ensure trading takes place in accordance with the licence issued and legislative and other requirements; taking effective action to deal with any illegal trading activity inside or outside of market areas.
- To actively seek views from traders and to encourage entrepreneurship and develop new talent within the market.
- Develop open and positive communications with traders to identify traders with strong market trading skills and experience who could play a key role in the trader mentoring and development programme.
- Be the first point of contact for the public for advice and assistance with complaints, dealing with them sympathetically using initiative to resolve problems and liaise with traders on their behalf where appropriate.
- Carry out regular inspections of shop front trading premises, issuing licences and undertaking enforcement.
- Take the necessary action to deal with the removal of fly pitchers, and the initial action to deal with traders selling counterfeit goods and other serious breaches of legislation liaising with other personnel as necessary, including Trading Standards Officers, the Legal Department and Police.
- To investigate complaints relating to breaches of legislation enforced by the team; to prepare reports for legal proceedings; and to give evidence in court
What you'll need to succeed
To be the successful candidate will have a proven background in Enforcement or Trading Standards with a strong understanding of all legislation and licence conditions applicable to carry out the role. You will be able to under-take enforcement activity and prepare reports, provide statements and give evidence as required to address breaches of legislation and/or licence conditions and to attend court to act as a witness for the Local Authority. You will need to have DTS or DCATS qualifications and will undertake the full duties of a Weights and Measure Inspector.
What you'll get in return
Competitive Market hourly rate
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.