Combustion Engineer - HMP Littlehey - £17.15-£20.03 p/h
Your new company
As a supplier to the HM Prison Service for the provision of maintenance trades & support operatives, Hays is seeking to recruit multiple qualified trades, including a Combustion Engineer at HMP Littlehey.
Your new role
Hays are looking for a qualified combustion engineer to work for Littlehey Prison in Huntingdon.
You will be required to ensure the site is maintained to the agreed standard with the undertaking of planned and reactive service and maintenance, breakdown and fault finding and repair tasks on a range of plumbing, heating and water supply / services. To undertake survey inspections for quality control purposes including in confined spaces and at height, recording all work and completing associated registers/logs.
Main Duties to include:
- To take accountability for and act as the Gas Safe appointed person appointed person if required
- To ensure the sites gas fired appliances and associated systems are safe to operate, maintained to statutory and manufacturers requirements
- To ensure that any immediately dangerous gas appliances are identified and shut off in accordance with the gas industry unsafe situations procedure in order to minimise risk to staff and the establishment, identifying the problem and taking remedial action as required
- To be responsible for escalating unsafe gas situations through the technical team or directly to the industry regulator when appropriate
- To keep abreast of statutory and best practice changes in the specialist combustion industry
- To take accountability for reactive maintenance within the prison estate
- To fault find and ensure satisfactory fault rectification maintaining site services levels at all times.
- To complete plumbing and heating installations including testing, and commissioning in adherence with statutory regulations, industry best practice and Health and Safety procedures
- To ensure allocated, planned maintenance and small repairs are carried out, undertake service requests raised by the computer aided facilities management system
- To ensure all activities are effectively prioritised in-line with local procedures. It is expected that this role will resolve day to day operational issues
- To communicate with all stakeholders for work on gas appliances to ensure safe working conditions are maintained. This may include the communication of complex gas issues
- To undertake general maintenance tasks and survey inspections in areas including confined spaces and at height, recording all work and completing associated registers/logs
Whilst you could be working inside the prison itself or in the prison grounds, you will be working with a team of other Trade people and Prison staff.
What you'll need to succeed
- Plumber qualified to C&G 6035 (Plumbing), C&G 6189 (Plumbing and heating) and NVQ level 3 in Plumbing or equivalent.
- CCN1 - Core domestic gas safety and relevant domestic appliance units
- COCN1 - Core commercial gas safety certificate and relevant commercial units (Desirable) .
Previous experience in a prison/ public sector is not required for this role. The nature of the role requires candidates to be security conscious and able to challenge potential compromises and risks, you will also need to be reliable and consistent, level headed and have exceptional interpersonal skills.
Security Clearance Required
All applicants will be subject to the HM Prison Service Security Clearance procedure which can take up to 4 weeks, this can include a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check. You must hold a Valid Passport or Birth Certificate & Photo Driving Licence in your current address. All applicants must be able to provide details of 2 satisfactory references, at least one from an ex-employer.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.