Construction Manager - Hinkley Point C
Location: Somerset, South West England
Somerset boasts beautiful English countryside, an attractive coastline, interesting towns and villages along with easy access to the M5 and within proximity to the cities of Bristol and Exeter.
Laing O'Rourke is part of a Joint Venture who are responsible for the Design & Build (D&B) including fit out and handover of the HBX Operations Service Centre (OSC) within Hinkley Point C. The building is a mixed use warehouse/office/laboratory/restaurant and office building which connects to both Unit 1& 2 Turbine Halls via sky bridges.
The Construction Manager will work directly with the supply chain sub-contractors and be responsible for the delivery of several internal fit out packages including drylining, lifts, flooring, blockwork and architectural finishes. The candidate will be repsonsbile for multiple packages concurrently. Package values range from £1m- £30m+.The packages have a large interface with the building MEP contractor so knowledge and experience of MEP service interfaces is desirable. The role covers design development from stage 4 RIBA to Stage 5 including handover, working with a dedicated design management team ahead of delivery of the package. The role also includes compliance on and off site with regards to safety, environmental and quality requirements, again working with a wider HSE and Quality management team. The package manager will work as part of a team of package managers reporting directly to the Project Manager to ensure programmes and activities are coordinated throughout the project and to an agreed programme. The role involves some limited interaction with the client but it is predominantly a sub-contractor management role.
- Writing Scope of Works (SoW) for sub-contracts
- Working with the planning function to write programmes for scope of works and reviewing sequence with other trades
- Method Statement/ITP/Quality Plan/Material Approvals-responsible for the review and coordination of sub-contractors documentation in line with programme
- Support with key project software applications to allow sub-contractors to follow process on site
- Key understanding of the processes at HPC and implementation throughout the supply chain
- Chair progress meetings and record actions from those meetings for each package
- Report progress against a programme on a daily/weekly basis
- Ensure change management is communicated and actioned with the commercial team
- Monitor labour and material resource levels for each package
- Contribute to the overall logistic plan of the site for your specific packages
- Chair and assist package interface meeting in both design and construction space
- Use BIM to coordinate work activities and record client deliverables
- Degree qualified in Construction management or Civil engineering with relevant experience
- IOSH/SMSTS or equivalent safety accreditation
- Buildings experience of 5yrs + - specific to internal/fit out trades-understands the interfaces and complexities of a building project
- Good material and market knowledge- can bring previous experience with products and contractors to the project
- Construction management or civil engineering degree
- Package management experience/sub-contract experience-managing change, progress, commercial and quality elements
- NEC contract management experience preferred
- Strong organisational and time management skills- candidate will be responsible for multiple packages
- BIM -2D and 3D at basic-intermediate level- additional training will be provided. Use of NAVISworks is desirable
- Understand and create programmes/schedules of work
We are willing to pay subsistence / mobility for the successful candidate.
Laing O'Rourke are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it. Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the 'Offer an interview scheme'. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.